Grimsby's Anime and Manga Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Grimsby's Anime and Manga Club

Dead forum is dead. Facebook me or email me if you want it re-opening. -Alex

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Candy-gobbling kids may turn violent as adults

Go down 
+4
Guntank
Takanaki
Tom
∞Hana∞
8 posters
AuthorMessage
∞Hana∞
Spare Time {Can I have it?}
∞Hana∞

Candy-gobbling kids may turn violent as adults Empty
PostSubject: Candy-gobbling kids may turn violent as adults   Candy-gobbling kids may turn violent as adults Icon_minitimeThu Oct 01, 2009 4:15 pm

Study: Many who ate too many sweets were arrested for violence by age 34

LONDON - Willy Wonka would be horrified. Children who eat too much candy may be more likely to be arrested for violent behavior as adults, new research suggests.

British experts studied more than 17,000 children born in 1970 for about four decades. Of the children who ate candies or chocolates daily at age 10, 69 percent were later arrested for a violent offense by the age of 34. Of those who didn't have any violent clashes, 42 percent ate sweets daily.

The study was published in the October issue of the British Journal of Psychiatry. It was paid for by Britain's Economic and Social Research Council.
The researchers said the results were interesting, but that more studies were needed to confirm the link. "It's not that the sweets themselves are bad, it's more about interpreting how kids make decisions," said Simon Moore of the University of Cardiff, one of the paper's authors.

Moore said parents who consistently bribe their children into good behavior with candies and chocolates could be doing harm. That might prevent kids from learning how to defer gratification, leading to impulsive behavior and violence.

Even after Moore and colleagues controlled for other variables like different parenting skills and varying social and economic backgrounds, they found a significant link between childhood consumption of sweets and violent behavior in adulthood.

Previous studies have found better nutrition leads to better behavior, in both children and adults.

Moore said his results were not strong enough to recommend parents stop giving their children candies and chocolates. "This is an incredibly complex area," he said. "It's not fair to blame it on the candy."

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/33091821/ns/health-diet_and_nutrition

Lies give them candy!
Back to top Go down
Tom
Chunin
Chunin
Tom

PostSubject: Re: Candy-gobbling kids may turn violent as adults   Candy-gobbling kids may turn violent as adults Icon_minitimeThu Oct 01, 2009 5:30 pm

Correlation does not equal causation.
Back to top Go down
Takanaki
In the Academy
In the Academy
Takanaki

PostSubject: Re: Candy-gobbling kids may turn violent as adults   Candy-gobbling kids may turn violent as adults Icon_minitimeThu Oct 01, 2009 6:33 pm

Tom wrote:

^qft
Back to top Go down
Guntank
4th Seat
4th Seat
Guntank

PostSubject: Re: Candy-gobbling kids may turn violent as adults   Candy-gobbling kids may turn violent as adults Icon_minitimeThu Oct 01, 2009 7:16 pm

Tom wrote:

This.
Back to top Go down
Hali
Admin
Admin
Hali

PostSubject: Re: Candy-gobbling kids may turn violent as adults   Candy-gobbling kids may turn violent as adults Icon_minitimeThu Oct 01, 2009 9:29 pm

Moved to right section =3
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/alex3737
JimJam
4th Seat
4th Seat
JimJam

PostSubject: Re: Candy-gobbling kids may turn violent as adults   Candy-gobbling kids may turn violent as adults Icon_minitimeFri Oct 02, 2009 3:04 pm

We're screwed when Hana turns 30 O_O

*Plans of breaking of friendship at 29*
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/jeimii12
Osaka
Chunin
Chunin
Osaka

PostSubject: Re: Candy-gobbling kids may turn violent as adults   Candy-gobbling kids may turn violent as adults Icon_minitimeFri Oct 02, 2009 7:49 pm

In short: Bring up your kids properly or they turn into monsters.
Back to top Go down
Kursed
This many posts? You're joking right?
This many posts? You're joking right?
Kursed

PostSubject: Re: Candy-gobbling kids may turn violent as adults   Candy-gobbling kids may turn violent as adults Icon_minitimeSat Oct 03, 2009 2:02 pm

Oh my xp! The chances aren't looking too hot for me..

For anyone that couldn't tell.. I was the type who blew all her money on sweets and Pokemon cards as a child.. oh and power balls.. and let's not forget the chocolate tin that I've grew up living with..

*looks at Abbi* Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/kirstyful
∞Hana∞
∞Hana∞

PostSubject: Re: Candy-gobbling kids may turn violent as adults   Candy-gobbling kids may turn violent as adults Icon_minitimeSat Oct 03, 2009 3:18 pm

Kursed wrote:
Oh my xp! The chances aren't looking too hot for me..

For anyone that couldn't tell.. I was the type who blew all her money on sweets and Pokemon cards as a child.. oh and power balls.. and let's not forget the chocolate tin that I've grew up living with..

heh join the club :3 fresheny place used to have this epic sweet shop (where Eskimoo's is) all pocket money was spent there XD yay candy :3 and collectable trading cards :3
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Candy-gobbling kids may turn violent as adults   Candy-gobbling kids may turn violent as adults Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1